Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Talking about GAUGE

Hi, Everybody!!

Ok, this is important and it ties into tension. The Gauge is the measurement of how ever many stitches or rows you have in inches. Clear as mud?

On the label of the yarn you are working will state that it's gauge is x number of rows and stitches per inch.

It is important because if your measurements are off, your piece will be off as well.


Yarn will state gauge for crocheting as well as knitting. For example, for the next lesson, I will be using Billow Blue from Peaches & Creme. It is 100% cotton and I just love how it feels to me, it is very soft and washes great.

The gauge it states on it's label is, for a 4 by 4 inch area, there needs to be 13 stitches by 14 rows. Labels will have inches on them as well as centimeters. Remember they also have English, Spanish and French. The label also tells you which hook to use, but if you want your stitches to be bigger, use a larger hook. If you want them to be smaller, use a smaller hook. Remember, crochet is very personal. You have to play around and practise to get to where you want to be!

So, for example:



I tend to crochet on the loose side, so my gauge will not correctly match what it says on the label, but I think you get the idea. And again, it is pretty much up to you. I recommend paying attention to what it says on the label so you will be in the general ballpark of the size using the recommended hook specified on the label.

Do you see how gauge and tension are so closely related to each other? 

I hope this clears up gauge for you, if not, let me know!!!

If you have questions or want to contact me, please do so AND give me a head's up on here so I don't accidently delete you from my SPAM folder!!

 Landon_Eason@yahoo.com
eason.landon.clary@gmail.com

Also, remember that if you want to join a very nice and helpful Crochet Forum, check out this link:


Crochet Talk





4 comments:

  1. This is great Landon!!!! Your blog is awesome!!
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thank you, Paige!! That is so sweet of you to say!! You are my FIRST comment!!! How cool is that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very cool lol. I really like the cell phone cover you have started. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I wanted to present an item that is very familiar to pretty much everybody. And it could be used as a holder for other items too.

    ReplyDelete