Monday, November 25, 2013

Gratitude for 11-25-2013 and Being True to My Capabilities

Today I am profoundly grateful that I know that I do not have to hide my brains from anyone, any more ever again. I can let that light shine proudly and true.


When I was in the second grade, we were given aptitude tests. My results were such that my teacher advised my mother to place me in advanced classes. I remember Mother's expression and her terse words to my teacher, Sister Rosetta: " It will do her more harm than good".

As I continued my schooling, I remember finishing my math workbooks for the entire year by Thanksgiving. One of my teachers realized that I had and she praised me for my accomplishment. Well, my classmates hated me for it and ostracized me for that. I dumbed down in a futile attempt to fit in.

I realized only a handful of years ago that my mother was threatened by anyone who she perceived as better than her, so she was not about to encourage my schooling in areas where I could excel.

I know that I no longer need to or even want to continue dumbing myself down. I know I am intelligent and I choose to develop that to the very best of my capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment